Arkansas’ highways are filled with large, commercial trucks hauling cargo across the country. Many trucking companies are located in Arkansas. And while most truck drivers handle their vehicles responsibly, accidents involving these massive big rigs often prove devastating to the innocent victims involved. If you’ve been hurt in a collision with one of these vehicles, you should speak to truck accident lawyer Alan LeVar.
Truck accident litigation is exceptionally complex, and you need a personal injury attorney who has proven himself with these cases. Mr. LeVar has helped clients across the state pursue justice and compensation for the injuries they’ve suffered in these accidents.
You shouldn’t try to determine on your own if you have a claim. If you’ve been hurt in a collision with a truck in Arkansas and you need to speak to a truck accident lawyer about your case, please call The Law Offices of Alan LeVar at (888) 220-7068today for a free consultation.
Find Out More About Truck Accidents:
- Common Causes of Truck Accidents
- Fatal Truck Accidents
- Who Can Be Held Liable in a Truck Accident
- What to do After a Truck Accident
- We Investigate Your Truck Accident Case
- Contact Our Truck Accident Lawyers
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
While “accident” is the accepted word for the wrecks that result in devastating personal injuries, the reality is that these incidents were not inevitable. Most of them could have been avoided. And our Arkansas truck accident lawyer can make that case on your behalf.
Factors that our truck accident lawyers commonly see include:
- Driver fatigue: This is one of the most common causes of truck accidents. Many trucking companies push their drivers to meet unrealistic schedules, and the only way for a driver to keep up is to drive through the night, foregoing sleep. This hurts reaction time and puts everyone on the road in danger.
- Driving under the influence: When it comes to truck accidents, the usual cause of impaired driving is not alcohol but amphetamines or other so-called “uppers”. Many drivers take these drugs, again, in an effort to stay awake and meet tight schedules.
- Over-loaded cargo: A big rig commercial truck is a massive vehicle, and operating it safely is difficult under the best of circumstances. Too often, trucking companies or cargo companies overload the cargo compartments of these trucks, throwing off their balance and center of gravity.
- Distracted Driving: Truck drivers have a lot of responsibilities while in the cabs of their trucks, and these responsibilities can interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle. Texting while driving, checking the GPS and even filling out paperwork are common and these practices are as dangerous as they are widespread.
- Defective big rigs and semi-trucks
Fatal Truck Accidents
Because of the massive size of most commercial big rig trucks, the wrecks that our Arkansas truck accident lawyer deals with often result in catastrophic injuries. Tragically, they often cause the deaths of innocent victims as well. When you’ve lost a loved one in a fatal truck accident that was caused by another person’s negligence or misconduct, The Law Offices of Alan LeVar can be a calm, compassionate sanctuary.
Arkansas’ Wrongful Death Statute
Wrongful death litigation is complicated, and it’s important to speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer about your case as soon as possible. Mr. LeVar and his team will be able to explain the legal process to you at a free initial consultation.
Some basics of the state’s wrongful death laws include:
- The statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim is three years from the date of the incident; it is two years for a medical malpractice case.
- There are no limits on the amount of compensation you can be awarded in a wrongful death claim.
- Family members and heirs are eligible to file a wrongful death claim.
Connecting the particular circumstances of a fatal truck wreck to the general provisions of the law is difficult, but our Arkansas truck accident lawyer has proven his ability on that front.
Compensation Available in a Truck Accident Claims
Untangling liability in the aftermath of a fatal truck wreck is complicated. There are many different parties who can be held liable in a truck accident. Our truck accident lawyer can usually pursue compensation in a wrongful death case for:
- Past medical expenses
- The loved one’s pain and suffering
- Your loss of companionship
- Funeral costs
- Your emotional distress
No wrongful death lawyer can promise you a specific result. But at The Law Offices of Alan LeVar, we can promise you a passionate and skilled representation.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Truck Accident
Our Arkansas truck accident lawyer and his skilled personal injury team will exhaustively investigate your accident to determine its cause and prove liability. We have pursued compensation claims against:
- Drivers: Most truck drivers safely and conscientiously operate their vehicles, but reckless and irresponsible driving is still unacceptable. And with the size of these vehicles, such driving tends to cause catastrophic injuries.
- Trucking Companies: Many trucking companies care more about profits than safety. As a result, they will push drivers to meet dangerous and unrealistic schedules, put unsafe trucks on the road and generally behave in negligent ways. Trucking companies can be held liable for their actions if they result in accidents.
- Cargo Companies: A frequent cause of truck accidents is an overloaded or mis-loaded 18-wheeler. Our truck accident lawyer will follow your accident all the way back to its source, and if that source is a cargo company that made a mistake in loading the truck, he can pursue compensation from them.
This isn’t an exhaustive list, but it does provide a good sense of the liability questions involved in a truck accident.
Further, it should make clear how important it is for you to speak to our Arkansas truck accident lawyer immediately about your accident. These cases are often time-sensitive. Trucking companies hold a lot of data that can prove vital to your claim, especially GPS tracking information, and many of them will erase that data after a certain period of time.
What to do After a Truck Accident
Our lawyers in and around Little Rock have seen too many people lose out on at justice and compensation because of unwise steps taken after their truck accident. That’s why it’s of the utmost importance to follow a few simple steps if you and your family are ever involved in an accident with a semi-truck.
Here are three key steps that you should take after a truck accident in the Little Rock, Arkansas-area to insure the viability of a potential claim, and to protect yourself and your rights.
Step One: Secure Medical Attention
First thing, seek medical attention. Call an ambulance to the accident scene or ask someone to do it for you. After a 9-1-1 emergency call, police also should arrive. You want law enforcement personal on hand after any accident but most especially one involving a truck.
When EMTs arrive, allow them to evaluate and treat you.
If there was no ambulance at the scene, see a doctor immediately.
You may not feel hurt. But the tragic reality that our Arkansas truck accident attorneys often face is that personal injuries can linger before symptoms such as crippling pain become obvious.
Let a medical professional treat you. It’s the right thing to do. Your health is the most important thing in the world.
Step Two: Information is Power
Take pictures of the accident vehicles, and note as many details as you can about the scene. Collect contact information for witnesses as well as responding officers and other law enforcement personnel.
As soon after as you can after the truck accident, begin to document the wreck. The more material you provide your attorney, the better.
Finally, secure copies of your accident-related medical records, a get the police report.
Step Three: Speak to an Arkansas Truck Accident Lawyer
Bring your documents to your free lawsuit consultation. Your lawyer can use them to determine who is most liable for damages related to your truck accident.
In the aftermath of an accident, it also can be stressful to respond to insurance company inquires, trucking companies, mechanics, rental car agents and all of the other parties necessary to secure your affairs.
Just remember: Don’t sign anything.
You need a skilled Arkansas truck accident lawyer by your side. At the Law Offices of Alan LeVar, our team strives to protect your rights and your well-being.
One last tip: Beware of predators, or “runners.” They might be employees of local chiropractor or less-scrupulous lawyers who have no qualms about knocking on the front door of recent accident victims to solicit business. Many claim they are associated with the insurance company, or offer a free medical examination.
Don’t accept these offers as they can exhaust MedPay, and provide defense attorneys with ammunition against your claim.
We Investigate Your Truck Accident Case
One of the most common things we hear at The Law Offices of Alan LeVar is, “I didn’t even know I had a case.” Many of our clients are reluctant to file a claim, blame themselves for the accident or just don’t know a crucial piece of information.
That’s why it’s so important to speak to our truck accident lawyer about your case at a free consultation. You can’t be expected to remember every possible detail in the aftermath of your accident, especially when you’re recovering from the kind of serious injuries that often result from accidents with these massive trucks.
We’ll use our experience and skill as truck accident lawyers to investigate your case. We can determine cause by:
- Examining the scene of the accident
- Speaking with witnesses
- Analyzing physical evidence such as tire marks
- Retrieving GPS and black box recordings from the truck that was involved
All of these tasks are easier when they’re completed soon after an accident. You should speak to a truck accident lawyer as quickly as possible after your collision.
Contact Our Attorneys in Arkansas Today
We have seen how negligent drivers, profit-seeking trucking companies, reckless cargo loaders and defective vehicles can devastate an innocent victim’s life. Because of the sheer size of the big rigs involved, the injuries suffered tend to be severe.
Our attorneys at The Law Offices of Alan Levar understand the various causes of truck accidents, and have handled enough accident cases to understand how to properly investigate and litigate them.
If you live in Arkansas and you need an experienced truck accident lawyer, please contact The Law Offices of Alan LeVar today for a free consultation. You can fill out the contact form on this page or call us at (888) 220-7068. We are proud to help members of the Arkadelphia, Taxarkana, Little Rock, and Conway communities along with the surrounding Arkansas communities.