With warm, fair weather gracing the country and with summer break upon us, many families are planning summer road trips. Road trips are a great way to create lasting memories with your loved ones. Please consider the tips below to prevent an accident on the road:
1. Before you start your car, take a moment to address driving distractions. Distracted driving is a significant cause of accidents every day in the US. Before you get going, take these steps to avoid getting distracted while you are driving:
- Familiarize yourself with your planned route ahead of time, so you won’t be distracted if your GPS fails
- Set your navigation before starting your car
- Turn your phone to silent and place it out of sight
- Alternatively, you can set your phone to send an automatic response text saying you are driving and unavailable if someone texts you
- Set a playlist to minimize how often you need to adjust the radio
2. Plan breaks in your schedule. Trying to drive long legs of your trip without a break is not worth the risk. It will help you stay energized and focused to stop your car at a safe place to get out and walk around. Taking your eyes off the task of driving will help you fight eye fatigue, and if you have children along with you, breaks will help them expel energy and stay happy.
3. Don’t drive tired, and avoid nighttime driving. Similar to failing to take breaks, forcing yourself to drive while you’re drowsy can lead to an accident. Just like alcohol, fatigue impairs judgment, slows reaction time, and decreases awareness and alertness. Avoid scheduling yourself to drive an excessive number of hours continuously, and be sure to stay over in a hotel or other lodging if you need to.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident and want to learn more about our experienced and compassionate Little Rock, Arkansas attorneys, please call The Law Offices of Alan LeVar at (888) 220-7068. Your no-obligation consultation is free.